Roadtrip to the Best of Tasmania

Tasmania, an isolated island located in the southern coast of Australia. Tasmania is a quite state. Wherever you go, you can easily have a photo done without any photobomb. During my roadtrip around the Tasmania, I saw more animals than human. lol, but true, it is known for the wildness area.

The best way to travel around Tasmania is by car. There are many car rental available online or even in the airport. Without a car, traveling around Tasmania is still possible, but very time consuming and not convenience.

For solo traveler, there are options such as take public transportation and engage with local tour.
Public transportations are available is some places, but more time consuming. Some places are not accessible by public transportation. If so, then you have to engage with local tour, but it can be expensive.

So how long is the sufficient time traveling around Tasmania? It actually depends on where you want to visit. This blog is to share my favorite activities or places in Tasmania that I highly recommend to visit. If you do not have much time and just want to visit some of the highlight destination, you can find this blog for your reference and plan for one week holiday.

I am going to list down my Top 5 favourite list in Tasmania that I think you shouldn't missed:

1. Eat oyster at Get Shucked in Bruny Island

I am not a fan of oyster. I try it anyway because of the recommendation and good reviews from many people. This place serves different taste of oyster, from fresh oyster to different cuisine. I ordered 1 dozen of oyster cook with the asian cuisine. I think they fried it and cooked with some vietnamese dressing.

When I put it in my mouth, OMG it change my perspective towards oyster. lol. maybe I was too overreact but it taste sooooo goooood. The best oyster I ever had. From that day on, I keep seeking for oyster during my stay in Tasmania. The price of oyster is also cheaper than the one in town. It costs $27 per dozen.

This is why I list it in my number 1 top list to do in Tasmania. However, Bruny Island is not located in the city. You can do a day trip from Hobart, and take ferry from Kettering ferry terminal to come to this island. You can bring your own car to the ferry and travel around the island with your own car. The price is $36 per vehicle for return. The last ferry is at 7.15 pm. You do need a car to travel around the island, or engage in some local day tour from the city.

Ofcourse, visiting Bruny Island is not just for the oyster. But it is a highly recommended thing when you visit Bruny Island. There are many other things to do in Bruny Island for one-day trip, such as wine tasting, whiskey tasting, beer tasting and even cheese tasting. I didn't visit all but I tried the beer tasting for $12 as it located just next to the oyster place.

Also, the neck lookout is a beautiful place to stop by. It was raining when I was there, but the good thing is I spot the rainbow in between of two ocean. It makes the best combination and beautiful place to be.
The Top of the Neck Lookout

Then you can head south to the lighthouse.


2. Visit Unzoo Tasmanian Devil

My second favorite list is the Unzoo Tasmanian Devil. I like the concept of unzoo. Who's looking at who now?

Tasmanian Devil Unzoo is a home to many native Tasmanian animals, not just the Tasmanian Devil. It is a great place to make yourself closer to the animals.

Kangaroo

My favorite part is feeding the Kangaroo. I was so excited to see the Kangaroos hopping around. You can pat them and feed them food by getting the food from the zookeeper and put it in your hand, and they will come to you. At first I was afraid that they would attack, but they are so cute and nice Roos.


The Devils


Tasmanian Devils can only be found in Tasmania. The devils are cute carnivore with strong teeth. They literally eat everything, including the bones and clothes.

I expect to have a picture like below, but the Devils were sleeping when I arrived the Den :( . Below picture was taken from google.
Related image
Source: google

3. Day Trip to Maria Island


At first, I was hesitate to visit this place, because of the traveling cost of $80 (ferry ticket, national park fee, bike hire). But I am telling you, I am glad that I visited Maria Island, because it was incredibly amazing and it is one of the best activity in Tasmania. I wrote a separate blog about Maria Island, and you can find it here. I love this place so much that it urged me to pen down every detail in order to help other travellers who are interested to visit this place.

4. Wine Tasting at Josef Chromy in Launceston


Launceston is the second largest city in Tasmania, after Hobart. Traveled from the great eastern road, about 2 and half hour to arrived Launceston. Wine tasting is one of the popular activities in Launceston. There are many vineyards (I think more than 20) available in Launceston. I only went to 3 vineyards due to time and budget constraint. Also, I am not a fan of wine, but I would like to try.
So these are the 3 vineyards that I visited, namely Holm Oak, Tamar Ridge, and Josef Chromy. The price per glass in those vineyards range from $7-10, which is cheap.

Holm Oak

 The first vineyard that I visited was Holm Oak. One lady introduced some wines for tasting and I found my favorite wine in this vineyard, which is the Pig & d'Pooch moscato. This brand of moscato was originally from Victoria, but also has plenty in Tasmania. Since I like the sweet and light taste, Pig & d'Pooch moscato really match with my taste. Thanks Lady!

Tamar Ridge

After one glass in Holm Oak, I continue to Tamar Ridge. I discover the vineyard based on some comments and reviews from internet. After tried many different kinds of wines, I chose the sparkling wine. The place is very comfortable to chill down, reading book, and a nice place to chill with friends and family, or even alone.

Josef Chromy 

Okay this is it! My favorite vineyard, Josef Chromy. Start from the introduction of wine tasting, this place charge $5 for the wine tasting, while the other two vineyards are free of charge, but they can waive the $5 if you buy one bottle of wine. All taste so unique and delicious that will give you hard time to decide which one to have. I never thought I would like wine <3
Finally I decide to have Pinot Gris and the cheese platter. I really like the cheese platter, everything in the platter are just perfect, especially to combine it with the delicious wine. It makes one of the best relaxing moment during the trip.

5. Port Arthur Historic Site


Journey in Port Arthur is one of the most interesting things to do in Tasmania. This place is rich of history and very beautiful. I enjoyed my time spent in this place. Probably the best historic site in Australia.

I had a day trip to Port Arthur from Hobart, then heading to Bicheno after the trip. This place is also in the same direction with Tasmanian Unzoo, so you can visit those 2 places in a day. I went to Tasmanian Unzoo in the morning, then heading to Port Arthur in the afternoon.

The entrance fee is $40 per person, include 45 minutes of tour explanation about the history of the building and 30 minutes of ferry cruise passed by the isle of dead, then back to the historic site. If you want to visit the island, you have to pay extra. The ferry schedule is available every hour. There is also a cafe inside the ferry.
Behind me is the Isle of Dead
Port Arthur Historic Site is really big. I spent about 4-5 hours here but didn't go to all of the places. I visited some places include the asylum, the main prison, the punishment cells, the garden, church, and tour around the life of Tasmanian peninsula residents.
The Asylum

Punishment cells

Prisoner cells
Police Station
There also has a ghost tour at night. Since Port Arthur is a place rich of history of prison and dead, I guess the ghost tour will give some creepy haunted feeling. I wanted to join but the tour was full. So make sure to make an online booking if you want to join the ghost tour at night.

I believe Port Arthur is one of the top attraction in Australia. If you love history and if you happened to visit Tasmania, please do not skip this place, because it is just amazing. It is kind like combination of beautiful place with sad and cruel history.

Okay, those are my Top 5 favorite things to do in Tasmania. Want to explore more places?

Below places are also worth to visit:

Mount Wellington in Hobart 


Located just a short drive from Hobart city. Surround with stunning scenery. I think there are many walking trails in Mt Wellington but I didn't explore because I just recovered from my sprained ankle and the weather was also too cold. Please remember to dress warmly. The wind is no kidding.

Salamanca Market in Hobart

Chicken Satay
This market only available on Saturday morning. This market is similar with the market bazaar held in Sydney and Melbourne. Most are foods, some local souvenir, clothes and some international souvenirs.

Cataract Gorge in Launceston


Cataract Gorge is one of the must see location in Launceston. It is located near the Launceston city, and easy access. So no reason to skip when you already at Launceston. There are many things to do in Cataract Gorge such as walking trails, playground, swimming pool, cafe, flora and fauna, and others.

Cradle Mountain

For those who love nature and trekking, Cradle mountain offers many trekking trails. I only visited Dove Lake since I just recovered from my sprained ankle. Dove Lake itself has many walking trails. And this is the iconic of Dove Lake in Cradle Mountain.

Lobster Shack in Bicheno


I love seafood. I came from a small town in Indonesia which famous for the seafood. So I am quite picky towards seafood. But the seafood that I had in Tasmania never disappoint me, including this lobster. And I came to Bicheno just to have this lobster :p

Okay that's all about my favorite things to do in Tasmania. You can find more stories in the highlight of my IG story at elisa.sasagram

Hope you enjoy the reading ;)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day Trip to Beautiful Udo – Jeju Island

Taiwan Trip: ShiFen & JiuFen